Secure self-service car rental and car sharing
The so-called “sharing economy” is a booming industry, making more efficient use of possessions through sharing with others. This extremely exciting approach may need some safety mechanisms though, to ensure a smooth process for the companies and individuals involved.
Biometric authentication and identity proofing of a person wanting to rent or borrow a car provides many benefits for the respective companies and solves issues so far not overcome. For legal and insurance purposes, the companies offering car rentals or car sharing must ensure that the driver is in possession of a driver’s license. Even if the registered person has to upload a legal document like an ID or driver’s license, you can’t be sure who is really renting the car without a secure authentication system. Unlike codes or passwords, biometric data cannot be shared with another person, thus making sure that the person registered and insured is actually the one renting the car. This can also prevent car theft with stolen ID cards, as BioID PhotoVerify can reliably take care of the identity proofing process and would recognize a mismatch between an ID and the presented face.
Reduce fraud and theft
- Prevent identity fraud and know who is really renting the car
- Discourage fraud: criminals don’t want their picture taken
- Stop repeat offenders: flag blacklisted renters who use different names
- Expand use of economical self-service check-in
- Fewer personnel for check-in
- No new hardware: uses camera on customer’s phone
Convenient customer journey
- Easy user experience for all channels: just take a selfie
- Supports nearly any type of check-in process or hardware
Using an app integrated with the BioID Web Service, any smartphone camera can be used to verify the assigned person, so no extra equipment is needed. The automated process of authentication can lead to a completely new, seamless and convenient user experience as well as higher levels of safety for car rental or car sharing companies.